Shred & Protect is Back!

You’re Invited…

Identity theft is on the rise, but it doesn’t have to hurt you. Join us at this complimentary document shredding event to protect yourself from identity theft. Bring your old cheques, bills and statements, or any confidential documents and the shredding truck will do the work for you!


  • Saturday, May 28 at 11am – 2pm
  • Assante Abbotsford – Suite 101 – 33386 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford, BC
  • No limits – bring as many old documents as your trunk can fit!
  • Enjoy a hot dog or hamburger with the donation of a non-perishable food item; all proceeds benefit the Archway Abbotsford Food Bank.
  • Open to the community – feel free to invite your family/friends to participate.

How long you should keep certain documents?

Destroy in a Few Days

  • ATM receipts, once you record the transaction
  • Bank deposit slips, once the funds appear in your account

Destroy After 1 Month

  • Receipts for things you bought on a credit card, once you get your statement, unless you need it for a return or a warranty
  • Credit card statement, unless it has a tax-related expense on it

Destroy After 1 Year

  • Utility bills, if not needed for business deductions (such as a home office)
  • Paycheck stubs, until you’ve reconciled them with your T4.
  • Bank statements, aside from pages that include copies of canceled checks needed for tax purposes
  • Investment account statements, once you get your annual statement, unless they show a trade for a gain or a loss for tax purposes
  • Receipts for medical and dental expenses if not needed for reimbursement by a health care insurance company.

Destroy After 7 Years

  • Supporting documents for tax returns, including T-Slips, tax-reporting statements, and proof of charitable contributions. The CRA has four years to audit you unless there’s a chance you underreported income or it suspects fraud. (Note: These are tax years, so keep supporting documents for your 2015 return—filed in 2016—until 2022.)

Keep Indefinitely

  • Tax returns with proof that you filed and paid (if you owed)
  • Receipts for capital home improvements, until you sell the home. (And then you should hang onto them for tax purposes—see tax documentation rules.)
  • Receipts for large purchases, for insurance purposes
  • Brokerage statements proving cost basis of an investment you still own, unless it’s held with Assante in which case we track this.